Working Chair in Clinical Pharmacy with the UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Exciting opportunity for an outstanding graduate scholar who is a leading authority in their discipline
- Join the # 2 ranked school in Australia in pharmacy (QS 2021 subject ranking)
- 5-year fixed-term position with attractive remuneration
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney School of Pharmacy (Sydney School of Pharmacy), part of the Faculty of Medicine and Health, annually trains around 250 trainee pharmacists who enter the workforce through the flagship programs of The school’s undergraduate and graduate admissions are accredited by the Australian Council of Pharmacy. Staff at the Sydney Pharmacy School lead the teaching of pharmacology and therapeutics throughout the Faculty of Medicine and teach health at degrees in pharmacy, nursing, dentistry, medicine, science and medical sciences. The school employs 50 permanent academic staff and trains more than 100 senior research students (mostly doctoral candidates) at the school, with around 10-15 graduates each year.
The North Sydney Local Health District (NSLHD) employs around 12,000 people. It consists of 5 hospitals with a total of approximately 2,000 inpatient beds and the Kolling Medical Research Institute. The Royal North Shore Hospital is a major teaching hospital of the University of Sydney with a multi-story, world-class acute clinical services building featuring state-of-the-art pharmaceutical facilities.
We seek to appoint an outstanding senior academic at the professor level to the role of Chair of Clinical Pharmacy. The role is a joint appointment with NSLHD, based at the Royal North Shore Hospital, and will assume academic responsibilities in the learning and teaching, research and service portfolios at the University and NSLHD. In addition, it is envisioned that the successful candidate will contribute to the NSLHD in terms of quality patient care, interprofessional education, leadership in clinical research, drug development and general health services.
As a senior scholar and leader, the President of Clinical Pharmacy will be encouraged to actively engage in leadership and engagement roles in the hospital, local health district, university, and health sector in broad sense, including the pharmaceutical industry and Australian governments.
For this post, the successful candidate will:
- foster excellence and provide essential leadership in research, education, evidence-based pharmacotherapy, drug development and quality drug use in a specialized clinical area and health policy development and pharmaceuticals at the university and in the local health district;
- contribute to an expanding program of professional and hospital research collaboration, emphasizing the main research areas of the school and local health district and existing research groups, and establishing partnerships with contacts and industrial, academic and health-related organizations;
- provide a demonstrated leadership of international reputation in scholarship through innovative and distinguished funded research;
- promote interprofessional collaboration between pharmacy students and other health care students, and between various health practitioners in clinical settings as well as through the teaching of pharmacy students.
About you (skills, abilities and experience)
The successful candidate will hold a PhD in a relevant academic field and will possess in-depth knowledge and understanding of key strategic issues in the higher education sector. You will have demonstrated success in leading an academic enterprise, from designing the curriculum to producing cutting-edge research and providing a conducive environment for students. With a distinguished record of excellence in university teaching (as evidenced by successful student outcomes, demonstrated impact on student learning, recognition through awards / prizes, and innovation), the successful candidate will also have a international reputation as an authority in its discipline or area of expertise, with a supporting research profile that includes competitive research grants, publications and evidence of recognition within the research community within the meaning large. Your experience in leadership and managing people in the higher education sector will serve to demonstrate your ability to supervise and / or mentor others to success.
The successful candidate must have established relationships with key academic, industrial and / or professional institutions, partners and stakeholders, which can be leveraged to enhance the reputation of the school, faculty and university .
Duration and remuneration
The successful candidate will be offered a 5-year, full-time fixed-term position, with the possibility of renewal subject to a performance and funding agreement.
Visa sponsorship and relocation assistance will also be provided if required.
The successful candidate will be offered an attractive remuneration commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and the relevant experience and qualifications of the candidate.
How to register
Applications (including a CV and cover letter describing how your skills, abilities and experience meet the requirements of the position) must be submitted through the University’s career site. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment/ and search by reference 0086137 for more information and to apply.
Closure hour: 11:59 p.m. (AEDT) Tuesday February 1, 2022